Ravens part ways with Carr and Evans


(Credits: Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

The Baltimore Ravens announced on Friday that cornerback Chris Carr and wide receiver Lee Evans have officially been released.

Carr fell out of favor and down the Ravens depth chart last season, and Evans, who was acquired in training camp to provide quarterback Joe Flacco with a deep, vertical threat, had just four receptions for 74 yards in the regular season.

Their releases will open up about $9 million under the salary cap for 2012, meaning the Ravens will have a little more wiggle room in trying to accomplish their offseason goals, which include signing running back Ray Rice and quarterback Joe Flacco to long-term extensions and re-signing pro bowl left guard Ben Grubbs and outside linebacker Jarrett Johnson.

Carr, 28, was scheduled to make $2.5 million next season, and carried a salary caphit of $3.45 million for next season, according to Aaron Wilson of The Carroll County Times. He was also due to make $3 million and $4 million in base salaries for the 2013 and 2014 seasons, respectively.

(Credits: Jim Rogash/Getty Images

In his contract year of 2010, Carr was arguably the Ravens’ best cornerback, starting all 16 games and recording 67 tackles, two interceptions, eight pass deflections and three forced fumbles.

However, after receiving a three-year, $14 million that included a $3.8 million signing bonus in the offseason, Carr’s production fell off, as he started one game and recorded 19 tackles, one sack, three pass deflections and no interceptions.

Carr was forced to miss seven games in 2011 due to hamstring and back injuries.

Meanwhile, Evans, 30, would have been due a reported $3.27 million in base salary for 2012, and $1 million in a roster bonus in March, according to BaltimoreRavens.com.

Evans will always be remembered as a Raven for getting the ball slapped out of his hands by Patriots rookie cornerback Sterling Moore in the Ravens’ 23-20 loss in the AFC Championship Game. The catch would have given the Ravens a 27-23 lead with just under 30 seconds remaining in the game, but after failing to secure the catch, two plays later, kicker Billy Cundiff shanked a 32-yard field goal wide left, which would have most likely forced the game into overtime.